Foxit Reader is definitely best Adobe reader replacement. However, we are not able to enable the thumbnail preview in Windows Explorer if we set it as a default PDF viewer. This tip will help you to turn this feature on.
A lot of Foxit reader users request this feature, but unfortunately they haven’t implement it, even in the latest 2.3 version. I try to search through internet and i found a great article which can do this.
- Install both Foxit reader and Adobe reader.
- Go to Start -> Run -> type regedit.
- In the Registry Editor, go to Edit -> Find. Type “foxit” in the field. Press Find Next a few times until you reach something like “FOXITR~1>EXE“.
- Browse to shell -> open -> command, copy the full path of your foxit reader.exe. For example, mine one is
“C:\PROGRA~1\FOXITS~1\FOXITR~1\FOXITR~1.EXE” “%1″ <–A
- Find your full address for Adobe reader. Mine one is
“C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe” “%1″ <–B
This value should be same with mine, unless you are using different version or install at different path.
- Search through all registry, replace path B with path A. Remember, only replace value that exactly the same with path B, else your Foxit reader/Acrobat reader may not work!
After your finish these steps, you can view the PDF thumbnails in windows explorer while still set Foxit reader as your default PDF viewer.