USB devices such as flash drives may harm your computer. Some of the USB drives which infected by virus will automatic copy files to your computer when connected. So, i would like to teach users how to block certain USB devices to connect to your computer.
I had cover USBDeview before, which is a utility to view and manage all devices connected to your computer, no matter previously or currently. Now, i am going to use this utility to block known devices from connect to my computer.
Note: If you don’t know what is USBDevice, you may refer to my previous article.
- Open USBDeview, and you will get a list like below:
- Now, choose which device that you want to block from connect to your computer. For example, i want to block my Kingston USB flash drive.
- Right-click the device and choose “Disable selected devices”, or you can press F6 to start block the device from connect to your computer.
- After that, try to connect the USB flash drive to your computer, you will found that you will not get any menu popup, or any new removable device at “My Computer”. But, you still will heard device connected/disconnected sound when you plug/unplug it.
- You can always right-click the device and choose “Enable selected devices” or F7 to unblock the device.